Friday 17 February 2012

How to: Big Hair

I personally find it difficult to leave the house if my hair is not…BIG. I naturally have very flat hair which I hate, so I have a routine when perfecting my style every day. I thought I’d share this routine in a step-by-step guide:

Step 1:
The first step to having big hair is to first make sure you have the right tools handy. My top three big hair tools are a large paddle brush, a metal tooth afro comb and of course, hairspray. (I use TRESemme extra hold). Once you have these, you are ready to start.


Firstly, brush through the hair to get rid of any tangles using the paddle brush. You can see from the picture below that my hair is naturally flat and lacking volume…I HATE this. 


Moving on, starting from the top third of your head, take about 5cm strands and begin to back-comb using the paddle brush. Continue to do this on the top layers of your hair (Don’t be afraid to really go for it). As you can see from the picture, when you start to look silly you are half way there.


Step 2:
Next, brush the back-combed hair backwards and begin creating your desired style, do this gently to ensure that volume is not lost, just neaten it up. When this is complete and your hair is looking good you can then hairspray to your heart’s content.


Step 3:
If like me you like to have volume on the bottom of your hair as well as the top you NEED an Afro comb. I only started using one a few months ago when I saw my mum had one. It works wonders! (Particularly if you have hair extensions). Using an Afro comb instead of a regular comb or brush for the bottom layers allows your hair to still have the bounce when you walk, rather than looking stiff and dry. Hold it either under your layers or on the outside, simply move your wrist back and forth, this separates the hair and creates volume from the root. I tend to do this in an upwards gesture as I feel it gives the hair ultimate volume. If you want to spray the bottom of your hair, go right ahead!


I hope this has helped my fellow BIG HAIR lovers out there. Let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment